Iran vows to avenge the assassination of Qassem Soleimani three years ago | Soleimani Assassination News

Soleimani, the commander of the Quds Force, was killed in a US drone strike shortly after landing in Baghdad on January 3, 2020.

Tehran, Iran – Senior Iranian officials and commanders have renewed their vow to avenge the assassination of top general Qassem Soleimani in Iraq three years ago.

Soleimani, the commander of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and one of the main architects of Iran’s regional influence, was hit by a drone strike claimed by the United States shortly after landing in Baghdad. on January 3, 2020.

During events to mark the third anniversary of his death on Tuesday and in the days leading up to it, a number of senior Islamic Republic figures vowed to remain fully committed to their promise of “harsh revenge” for the slain general.

“We have not and will not forget the blood of the martyr Soleimani. Americans must know that revenge for the blood of the martyr Soleimani is certain, and the murderers and perpetrators will not have an easy sleep,” President Ebrahim Raisi told an audience of thousands in Tehran on Tuesday.

Speaking at the Grand Mosalla, where public demonstrations had been encouraged through banners in the city for days, the president said Soleimani was a “champion of the fight against terrorism and global arrogance” who “brought away the hegemony of the United States in the region to defeat it.”

In addition to top Iranian officials, also present at Tuesday’s event were a number of officials and commanders, including those from Iraq and Lebanon, who form the Tehran-backed “axis of resistance” across the region.

The Iranian foreign ministry and judiciary have also vowed to continue their efforts to avenge Soleimani and hold to account perpetrators in other countries including Israel, the United Kingdom and Germany that Iran believes aided in the assassination.

A new batch of sanctions that the Foreign Office imposed in mid-December targeted current and former UK and German officials and commanders, plus various entities, including the UK’s Royal Air Force base at Menwith Hill. , North Yorkshire, who was allegedly involved in the murder. .

Judiciary spokesman Masoud Setayeshi told reporters on Tuesday that the judiciary has identified 154 suspects in the Soleimani assassination case, 96 of whom are US citizens.

To follow up on the prosecution of the suspects, he said the judiciary has sent letters to nine countries.

Setayeshi added that indictment notices were sent to the addresses of all 96 Americans, while Iran requested Interpol “red notices” for dozens, including former US President Donald Trump.

Trump ordered Soleimani killed, saying he was planning an “imminent” attack on US military personnel in the Iraqi capital.

Iran’s state television broadcast live footage of Tehran and Soleimani’s hometown of Kerman on Tuesday, showing thousands of people marching while holding banners bearing his likeness and chanting slogans.

Banners depicting Soleimani and his handwriting were put up in Tehran and cities across the country last week. “Martyrdom is the medicine for my pain” was one of the messages.

Iran has been rocked by months of ongoing protests that began in mid-September after the death of Mahsa Amini following her arrest by the morality police for allegedly violating a mandatory hijab rule for women.

During his speech on Tuesday, Raisi once again accused the United States and other foreign powers of being behind the riots.

“You created a variety of wars, including cyber, psychological, military and economic wars,” he said. “But you were defeated in all these wars and you will be defeated from now on too.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *