I Thought My Son Died 12 Years Ago, Then A Miracle Happened

The mother of a missing son had waited 12 long years for her Christmas miracle.

Scottish mother Joyce Curtis thought her son had passed away after he went missing more than a decade ago. Curtis had not heard from her son Nicholas since he disappeared in 2010 and assumed he was dead until December 19, when he received a phone call informing him that his pride and joy were in a hospital in France. .

“I can’t believe it,” Curtis told SWNS of the “miraculous” meeting. “I resigned myself to the fact that he had died. I really thought that and I think everyone else thought the same thing.”

He added: “It’s like that movie ‘Miracle on 34th Street.’ It’s like a miracle.”

The harrowing saga began in the early 2000s after the Glasgow native quit his job as a construction worker and embarked on a jaunt across Europe. Nicholas told his mother that he had been hitchhiking and his mother feared that he was having a hard time on the streets of Paris.

Finally, in 2009, Curtis reported his son missing after “not hearing from him for years and years” in the midst of his pan-European pilgrimage, the concerned father said.

“I resigned myself to the fact that he had died. I really thought that and I think everyone thought the same thing,” said mother Joyce Curtis.
The Herald / SWNS

Her report seemed to pay dividends, as a year later the British Consulate contacted her to inform her that Nicholas was alive, SWNS reported.

“I received a letter in 2010 to say that Nicholas was in a hospital in France,” explained Curtis, who immediately flew to Paris with her husband to visit him.

Little did the Scotswoman know that this was the last time she would see her progeny for 12 years. “We took him home, but for some reason, I don’t know why, she just disappeared again,” lamented the heartbroken mother. “They were sending him home and they told me they were going to put him on a flight.

“I was expecting him at home in Glasgow at a certain time,” added Curtis, who had even bought him shoes and other travel gear for his flight home during his visit to Paris.

The anxious mother waited at the hospital where she worked at the time, but Nicholas “never made it home.”

“We were going to take him home, but for some reason, I don’t know why, he just disappeared again,” Curtis said as he described his son being MIA.
The Herald / SWNS

“I remember it was raining heavily that day,” the petrified father described. “I called all the airports to see if she had gotten on a flight, but nothing.”

The Glaswegian added: “That was the last I heard from him until Monday.”

That day, the British consulate contacted Curtis a second time to alert her that Nicholas was alive and had been admitted to a French hospital. again, to “Groundhog Day”. However, they did not specify the nature of the man’s ailment.

“When I received the call to say that he was alive, I was simply shocked,” the mother exclaimed overjoyed upon hearing the great news. “All I did was cry all day.”

The relieved mother said she was sure her son had died with “COVID and everything that happened,” adding that she had even “cried for him.”

Curtis was delighted to talk to her son for the first time in 10 years. “I spoke to him on the phone. He looks healthy,” she said. “I asked him, ‘Are you coming home Nikky?’ And he said: ‘Yes’”.

She added: “I can’t imagine what he’s been through. I just need to take it home.

And while Nicholas plans to travel home, Curtis says that she, too, is willing to travel to Paris to see him, presumably to avoid another harrowing case of déjà vu.

Meanwhile, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office also pledged to lend a hand. “We are supporting a British man in France and providing assistance to his family,” a spokesman said. “We are in contact with the local authorities.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *