Christmas tragedy when a young child was found dead hours after being sent home from the hospital
The heartbroken parents of a 22-month-old girl have told how she was found dead, just hours after she was sent home from the hospital.
Little Hailey Thompson was diagnosed with a virus on December 18, but her family was told to keep giving her fluids and paracetamol instead of antibiotics.
But early the next day, her parents Kris Thompson, 32, and Iboyla Adam, 35, found her unconscious in her bedroom.
Kris performed CPR before a paramedic took over and the girl was rushed to Wigan Infirmary, where she tragically died despite the best efforts of the doctors.
An investigation has now been launched after her parents complained that Hailey’s case was not taken seriously enough.
Kris, from Wigan, Gtr Manchester, said: “We can’t believe we’ve lost our little girl.
“It all happened so fast. Something in her body took control of her.
“When we found her at 5:30am on Monday, she was lying in exactly the same position I had seen her in when I went to bed at midnight, only she was stiff and her skin discolored.
“It was a horrifying sight and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.
“We knew in our hearts that she was gone, but I called 999 and screamed into the phone that our daughter was dying, so I was put on CPR until the rapid response paramedic arrived.
“But he couldn’t revive her and she was pronounced dead at the hospital.”
Hailey started with a cough and runny nose on December 7 and was taken to see a GP who prescribed antibiotics, but she stopped taking them due to an allergic reaction.
A week later, she was taken to another medical appointment where the family was told that because she had a viral infection, she needed Calpol instead of antibiotics.
Just a day later, he was well enough to be running, ate and drank well, and went to bed at his usual 6:30 p.m.
Kris went to see her at 11pm, where she found her daughter gasping for breath, so she immediately called 999, who said an ambulance would arrive soon.
After 20 minutes, she didn’t show up and 111 told her there was a two-hour wait, so she took Hailey to A&E, where they waited for more than five hours before she was examined.
The doctor tested Hailey’s blood pressure and was unable to check her tonsils, so she told the family to go home, where she went straight to sleep.
Her parents were told to keep her hydrated and dosed with Calpol and if she didn’t improve in three days, take her back to the ER.
He then woke up at noon but was coughing, had a runny nose, and was “completely out of it.”
Hailey was put to bed at 6:15 pm on December 18, and Kris noticed that she was panting again, but not as much as before.
Less than six hours later, the couple made the most heartbreaking discovery.
Wigan Infirmary was experiencing one of its busiest days on Sunday the 18th and the department later declared a ‘critical incident’.
But Ibolya and Kris want to know why no blood samples were taken when Hailey was brought to the hospital “out of breath like a 90-year-old.”
The couple also said an attempt to check her tonsils was abandoned because the young woman struggled, closed her mouth and then vomited.
Kris and Ibolya were told to take Hailey home and keep her hydrated, and if she hadn’t improved in three days, to take her back to A&E.
But tragically, the young man was dead within 24 hours.
Kris said: “We want answers. How can a healthy baby die in its sleep?
“And why was the test for strep A, scarlet fever or covid not done, for example?”
A post-mortem examination cannot be carried out until December 28, leaving the couple facing an agonizing wait for answers and the police have passed the details to the coroner.
A spokesman for the Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust said: “Our deepest condolences to Hailey’s family at this tragic time.
“We are aware of the family’s concerns and are currently awaiting further information to understand more.”