7 dead, several wounded in shooting attack at Jerusalem synagogue; terrorist shot

Seven people were shot dead and several others wounded in a terror attack on a synagogue in the Neve Yaakov neighborhood of Jerusalem, police and medics said late Friday.

According to the police, the terrorist arrived by car at a building used as a synagogue in the neighborhood in the northern part of East Jerusalem and opened fire.

The attacker then fled the scene towards the Palestinian neighborhood of Beit Hanina, about one kilometer (0.6 miles) away, where he was met by officers who were called to the scene.

Police said the bomber, an East Jerusalem resident, was shot dead after he opened fire on officers as he tried to escape on foot.

A firearm used in the attack was seized.

According to Channel 12 news, the terrorist first shot an old woman on the street, then met a motorcyclist and shot him, before reaching the synagogue. Police did not immediately confirm the details.

The Magen David Adom ambulance service said its medics declared five victims dead at the scene.

The weapon used by a terrorist in a shooting attack in the Neve Yaakov neighborhood of Jerusalem, January 27, 2023. (Israel Police)

Three victims, a woman in her 70s in critical condition, a 20-year-old man in serious condition, and a 14-year-old boy in moderate to serious condition, were taken to Hadassah Mount Scopus hospital. Two other victims, a man in his 30s in critical condition and a woman in her 60s in moderate condition, were taken to Shaare Zedek hospital.

Jerusalem District Police Chief Doron Turgeman at the scene of a deadly terrorist shooting in the Neve Yaakov neighborhood, January 27, 2023 (Channel 12 screenshot)

Jerusalem District Police Commander Doron Turgeman, speaking to reporters at the scene, said two of the wounded victims had died, bringing the death toll to seven.

Dozens of officers were dispatched to the scene, police said.

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, who was in the United States for a personal trip, would return to Israel on Friday night after the attack, his office said.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was scheduled to conduct an assessment with top security officials.

Local residents told Channel 12 news that it took 20 minutes for the police to arrive. β€œIt’s a shame,” said one man. Police did not immediately respond to the allegations.

This is a developing story.

you are a dedicated reader

That’s why we started the Times of Israel ten years ago: to provide discerning readers like you must-read coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.

So now we have a request. Unlike other media outlets, we have not installed a paywall. But because the journalism we do is expensive, we invite readers for whom The Times of Israel has become important to help support our work by joining The Community of the Times of Israel.

For as little as $6 a month, you can help support our quality journalism while enjoying The Times of Israel. AD FREEas well as access exclusive content Available only to members of the Times of Israel community.

David Horovitz, founding editor of The Times of Israel

Join our community

Join our community

Already a user? Sign in to stop watching this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *